Topped with sweet potato rather than it’s white alternative, this added some extra sweetness and fibre to an already delicious meal.
A good source of protein, carbohydrates, fibre, with a variety of micronutrients (vitamins and minerals), this pie was a delicious choice for warming the stomach during the cooler evenings of August.
500g extra lean beef mince
2 tblp olive oil
2 diced onions
4 crushed garlic cloves
2 tblp Worcestershire sauce
2 stalks celery sliced
2 carrots, chopped into small pieces
1 can diced tomatoes
1 cup corn kernels
1 cup beef stock
1 tblp dried oregano
1 tsp each of thyme & rosemary
1 handful of chopped parsley
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut
1/4 cup low fat milk
1 tblp butter
salt and pepper for seasoning
1. Steam your potatoes until soft. Mash with milk and butter until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
2. In pot or pan, heat olive oil and sauté onions until soft.
3. Add carrot, celery, and continue to cook for a further 5 or so minutes.
4. Add mince, cooking through.
5. Season with thyme, rosemary, garlic, oregano, pepper and worcestershire sauce.
6. Once all cooked, add diced tomatoes, stock, corn and parsley. Simmer for 30 minutes.
7. Preheat oven to 180C
8. Add meat mixture to an oven proof dish and top with sweet potato mixture.
9. Bake in oven for 20-30min until bubbling.
10. Serve with steamed vegetables or peas.