Straight from the ‘Coles Feed Your Family’ online page, this steak recipe is by former Masterchef contestant Michael Weldon. An easy variation of a simple meal with some added flavours while being high in protein and rich in vitamins and minerals.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 4 Scotch Fillet steaks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 60 g butter
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 150 ml red wine
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 50 g Gravox Traditional Gravy Single Tub
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 500 g kale, stalks removed (or
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 800 g baby washed potatoes, chopped, steamed, to serve
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper. Brush with half the oil. Heat a frying pan over high heat until very hot. Add the steaks and cook for 2 minutes. Turn and add the butter, thyme and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes for medium rare or until cooked to your liking. Baste the steak with pan juices. Transfer to a plate. Cover with foil and set aside for 5 minutes to rest.
- Meanwhile, combine the red wine and sugar in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Cook until the liquid reduces by 2/3 and the mixture is slightly syrupy. Add the Gravox and red wine vinegar. Stir over low heat to warm through. Remove from heat. Cover to keep warm.
- Heat the remaining oil and kale in a large saucepan over high heat. Stir until kale has wilted. Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- To serve, place the wilted kale on the plate. Top with steak and drizzle with the red wine sauce. Serve with steamed potatoes